Lighter King Cake recipe
Recipe adapted from Baking Bites.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar (brown sugar can be used too)
- 2-1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1/2 cup skim milk (warmed to 110-120 degrees F)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Green, purple and yellow sprinkles
- Grease a 6-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix 3/4 cup of the flours, sugar, yeast and salt together. Add in warm milk, applesauce and oil. Using a handheld mixer, beat in eggs, one a time. Be sure each egg has been fully incorporated before you add the next one in. Stir in vanilla.
- Sift in the rest of the flours and mix using the mixer for about two minutes. Cover with plastic and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix filling by beating cream cheese, coconut, vanilla and sugar until creamy.
- Once batter has set, pour 1/2 into the Bundt pan. Using a tablespoon, scoop filling onto the top of the batter until filling is gone. Pour the rest of the batter over the filling and smooth out with a spatula. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let rise for at least 1-1/2 hours.
- Once batter has risen to double its size, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Once preheated, bake cake for at least 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on a wire cooling rack for at least 30 minutes.
- While cake cools, make icing by mixing the sugar and water together. When cake is completely cooled, frost by drizzling the icing all over the cake to cover it liberally. Sprinkle 1/3 of the cake in yellow sprinkles, 1/3 in purple sprinkles and the remaining 1/3 in green sprinkles. Serve immediately and enjoy!